Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Hopeful

This week brought some tough news from Alabama. Claire has joined Eliot in heaven. We ask you to please pray for the Cox family. We have developed a friendship with this couple and a love for their little girl that defies understanding. Feel free to encourage them as you have us.

Ginny and I have been slowly tiptoeing back into the world. Ginny has been enjoying making jewelry and planning shows. I have continued working and am looking at going back to school. Some exciting ways of sharing Eliot’s story have developed. We will share more as they come to fruition. Brainstorming is still underway in regards to what direction we should take to help others. We are both openly seeking whatever the Lord would have for us from this point onward.

I missed posting pictures of Eliot. So I did. Enjoy.

Recently my thoughts have turned to hope. Hope is that which empowers us to make it through a day. To get out of bed, to look past the behemoth that is the now. The question that has been pressed upon me as of late is this: for what do I hope?

I had hoped that Eliot would still be here. That God would do a miracle. That he would be the kid that filled the pages of medical journals. I hoped that we would be a family for longer. I hoped that he was present at my funeral- just as it should be with a father and son.

I make no apologies for those hopes. Naïve as they are, I know a God who could have fulfilled these hopes with a single touch. But, today, we linger in a world that was absent that touch. So what is the subject of my hope now?

I hope that God is who He says He is. I hope beyond hope that His word is true.

Actually, this was my hope all along. God has not failed. I believe that one day I will be released from this body, and be at His feet. The questions will be answered and I will wonder no longer. Ginny & I believe that while we’re still here on earth, that something is waiting to be done.

My hopes cannot thwart God’s plans. And I am learning that this is a good thing. May His will be done. For therein lies my hope.

Matt & Ginny Mooney

Here are some scriptures that we have held to recently:

Hab. 3:17,18
Though the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the LORD,
I will be joyful in God my Savior.

II Cor. 1:3,4
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.

Lam. 3:21-23
Yet this I call to mind
and therefore I have hope:
Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.

11 comments:

Lisa (Myers) Hartsfield said...

I sure hope with you both! I know God has big plans for you both even though we do not know what they are at this moment!

Thanks for the picture of Eliot =) I cannot help but smile when I see his picture!

I was so sorry to hear about sweet Claire! I posted to their sight and I told them that I felt quite sure that Eliot was there waiting for her so that they could finally meet and do some serious playing without any cords what so ever!!!

Know that I continue to pray for you! I know from experience, that even though you NEVER forget nor do you want to, time does ease the pain and lessen the hurt...and if you have a good day...it is ok to be happy and it does not mean that you miss him any less =)

Still praying for you in Arlington
Lisa Hartsfield

Anonymous said...

You have such a beautiful way with words and the picture is so adorable; I was telling my husband about you all last night.

I will be praying for you all.

Jodie Keeter said...

What a nice surpise to see sweet Eliot at the top of the post. Thank you for your continued generosity through sharing your story with us... The Keeter's

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about Claire. I've been following her story for a while, and it's so hard to hear the news.

Thank you for continuing to write--your honesty through your grief ministers to so many others. Something I'm starting to see this year (through the birth of my daughter, who has a rare syndrome and, as a result, some serious medical problems) is that while this was the first major crisis I've been through, it certainly won't be the last. What I learn this time will help others who are going through their own struggles, and it will help me the next time I'm confronted with grief. You are a blessing.

amy terral said...

Beautiful words Matt. From this hope springs eternal life. Hope is not on what is seen, but on what is not seen. The verse in 2 Cor. that you quoted is marked in my bible with Amanda's birthday. It is the verse God gave me when her death did not make any sense. It is the verse he still draws me back to. Love you all,

aunt amy

Anonymous said...

love you guys!
still praying for you!

Christi said...

The verses you posted are the only verses that have gotten me through this year. Different lives, different trials...One and the same God. Hallelujah!
May our God continue to pour upon you the riches and blessings that he has for you, as well has his insurmountable peace and comfort.

Thank you for being a disciple of Christ that is real, genuine...and yet so hopeful of what is to come!

God is faithful...
The Bergers

Anonymous said...

I have been following Claire's story,too and was saddened by their loss. I love their last tribute to her...it just left a beautiful picture in my heart of little Claire and Eliot in heaven and a glimpse into the strong love they had for her. Thanks for posting your thoughts of hope. God bless you as you have blessed others! Ginny,the Eliot necklaces are beautiful...I received them this week!


Kim

Kate said...

Your words speak so strongly to my heart. May God continue to keep you in his grip, abundantly comforted and loved. Praying for you ...

Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly, abundantly above ALL that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be the glory forever. Eph.3:20-21

Amy said...

Hi,

My name is Amy, we lost our daughter four months ago. She was stillborn and never found out the cause.

Even completely understanding what you are going through, I still am at loss for words. But I do know that you are blessed to have known your son. I praise God for giving you that gift.

Blessings on you as you discover your new life and understand your grief.

Anonymous said...

Hi.
I learned about Elliot one day when I was Claire's sight. Her sister goes to school with me. It was so heartbreaking to hear of Elliot and Claire. They wre the cutest little babies ever. I just know Elliot and Claire are playing in peace today tomorrow and everyday from here on out.

From anonymous in Mobile Alabama.